Inefficient irrigation systems only add to irrigation costs. Studies reveal the average level of pumping efficiency for installed systems is about 50%. Brand new systems often achieve above 80%. For irrigators with older electric pumping systems, this translates to thousands of additional kilowatt-hours (kWh) and higher electric bills.
Existing all-electric irrigation systems with pump motors of 20 horsepower (hp) and larger may qualify for an incentive after you improve the system’s efficiency.
Projects eligible for EnergyWise incentives include :
• Installing new nozzle or sprinkler packages
• Replacing pressure regulators
• Reducing system pressures
• Replacing delivery system
• Installing variable rate irrigation systems
• Replacing or refurbishing pumps
Incentives up to $0.10 per kWh saved on an annual basis may be available. If you don’t see your project listed above, contact Karen at Cornhusker Public Power District, 402-564-2828, to see if your project might qualify. Program terms and conditions apply.
Not sure how efficient your pumping system is?
Get your system tested and find out! The Irrigation Pump Efficiency Program is designed to provide customers who want to reduce their energy usage and costs associated with irrigating with a means of assessing irrigation system performance and improving areas of inefficiency. System must be 20 years or older to quality.
After testing is complete, Cornhusker Public Power District will make payment directly to the testing irrigation contractor for the actual cost or $350, whichever is less.
Project Implementation Process
- Customer must call Cornhusker Public Power District Supervisor of Metering Terry Ludden or Lead Meter Technician Dean Fuchser.
- Customer must complete application. This will allow the customer to easily document data for the program. A copy of this form signed by the contractor, will be submitted to Cornhusker Public Power District for processing.
- Customer will arrange to have a test completed by a contractor.
Contractor should provide this information:
- Cornhusker Public Power District employees will have the opportunity to discuss the proposed irrigation pump efficiency improvement with their customer prior to installation. Evaluation can be facilitated through the use of the utility’s irrigation calculator.
- Cornhusker Public Power District will pay a contractor up to $350 to conduct a pre-implementation test and a post-implementation test as long as funds are available.
- Cornhusker Public Power District reserves the right to cancel the program with 30 days notice.