ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN (T-7) $33.36 – $45.60
1) POSITION FUNCTION
To secure, record, analyze, and maintain engineering data, perform drafting functions, and line staking as assigned.
2) RESPONSIBILITIES AND AUTHORITIES
Within the limits of approved board policies, operating guides, and procedures, assumes responsibility and has commensurate authority for the following activities:
- Performs drafting functions necessary to maintain engineering working files resulting in current data, maps, etc. to reflect existing system status.
- Investigates, designs, and stakes distribution cable replacement projects and other projects as assigned; and prepares necessary staking sheets and permits to initiate required construction. Easements for new and updated line.
- Inspects and field checks completed work orders to assure compliance with applicable specifications, accurate material charges, and quality workmanship.
- Assist with the analysis of system outages and offer recommendations regarding corrective action to meet reliability standards.
- Receives and analyzes service requests and prepares engineering orders to provide adequate and timely service to consumers.
- Performs necessary tasks associated with customer generation requests and other renewable projects on the distribution system.
High school diploma or equivalent and a two-year associate degree in a related field are required. Graduates of accredited programs such as the Merchant’s Powerline Job Training & Safety Program, or equivalent, would also qualify. A minimum of five years of in-the-field electric utility experience may be substituted for some educational requirements.
Mechanical, electrical, design, or surveying background; or previous electric utility experience in operations/engineering is preferred. Previous experience in the areas of computer applications and CAD mapping is helpful.
5) JOB KNOWLEDGE
Knowledge of personal computer applications including database, spreadsheet, and word processing preferred. Working knowledge of system protection coordination principles and computer-aided drafting is preferred. Prefer a general ‘knowledge of electric utility engineering practices, operations, and construction. Prefer a general knowledge of standard utility specifications and the National Electric Safety Code.
6) ABILITIES AND SKILLS
Must be organized, detail-orientated, able to concentrate, and skilled in communicating with people. Must be able to express him/herself well orally and in technical writing projects. Must be skilled in the use of a personal computer. Must be able to organize and plan work projects.
7) WORKING CONDITIONS
Outdoor work is required in a variety of weather conditions in addition to normal office working conditions. Occasional work outside of normal work hours will be required.
8) PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Medium work requiring exertion of up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds of force more frequently. Lifting and carrying 10 to 50 pounds occasionally. Exposure to varying temperature conditions including cold below 32 degrees and heat above 100 degrees. Minimal exposure to fumes, odors, gases, chemicals, poor ventilation, dust, and dirt. Hazards include electrical. Must be able to use office equipment such as a copier, computer, and printer. Must be able to read, write and do arithmetic. Requires conducting research and measuring. Must be able to present information to others.
A valid Nebraska Driver’s license
Have or become a General Notary – State of Nebraska
- Punctual and conscientious about work hours. Communicate with supervisor when unable to work at the appointed time.
- Available when needed for both regular duties and during system emergencies.
- Accept responsibility for the duties of your position and work diligently toward complete accurate work assignments.
- Continually develop and recommend more efficient and effective ways of carrying out the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Review and abide by established policies and procedures of the district.
- Promote safety in every activity and attend scheduled safety meetings as directed.
- Promote teamwork through communication and cooperation. Treat co-workers in a respectful, considerate, and professional manner and consider the opinions and personal needs of others.
- Accept and adapt positively to changes in your position and within the District. Develop a commitment to accept ongoing change, new ideas, equipment, and software/computer programs that support gained efficiencies.
- Be a positive influence within and outside the district.
- Support the District’s mission by staying current with information to cultivate and positively project the district’s philosophy.
- Ability to keep information with the highest level of confidentiality and apply utmost discretion.
Each position at the Cornhusker Public Power District will evolve according to the needs of the organization. While this job description is generally descriptive of the position, it is not all- inclusive.
Cornhusker Public Power District provides the highest level of service by supporting, empowering, and rewarding exceptional people; by embracing a philosophy of continuous improvement; and by providing superior results to every customer. Our mission is to safely provide our customers with quality electricity and customer service that is fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory.
The above statements reflect the general nature and level of work considered necessary to perform the essential functions of the job identified and are not a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job. Not all functions listed may be performed and other duties may be assigned to meet business needs as determined by the Company.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. The Company will make a reasonable accommodation to known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant or employee with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on our operation. Any employee who believes he or she may require such accommodation should contact Human Resources or the CEO.